12/26/10

Creamy Pumpkin Pie


Around the holidays, when I get a craving, it's for one thing; pumpkin pie. I have two options. 1: ignore craving and dream of pumpkins. 2: make a healthy pumpkin pie that I can eat as much as I want. I think I'll go with two. After making a few decent pies that I enjoyed (can't say the same for my family) I finally got this one right. The filling is light, creamy, and just as good as regular pie. While nothing beats a flaky, buttery pie crust, this one is a nice, healthy substitute that goes well with the filling. Next time you're making a pumpkin pie, try this one. My family liked it(crazy, I know) and yours will too. 

Creamy Pumpkin Pie                                                                                                                             

Ingredients:

3/4 cup pecans
3/4 cup oats (ground in food processor)
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch salt
1/4 cup canola oil (or less)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons skim milk

Filling:
1 15 oz.can  pumpkin
2/3 cup Truvia, Stevia, or Splenda
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves                                                                                                                    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
1 egg yolk
1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
2 egg whites

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine the pecans, flours, cinnamon and salt in a food processor and process until ground. In a medium bowl, whisk the oil and maple syrup. Add the skim milk. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Press into a 9-inch pie pan, making sure the crust is of uniform thickness. mold the edges as you please and bake for 10 minutes. Cool.

Combine the filling ingredients, except egg whites, in a bowl and whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whites (don't stir) into the filling mixture, until the egg whites are fully incorporated. Pour the filling into the crust. Bake about 45 minutes, until the center is  set. Cool well before serving. Top with a dollop of light whipped cream.

(adapted from www.whatwouldcathyeat.com)

1 comment:

  1. Surprisingly delicious! I'm so glad you started posting your recipes! You're doing all of the hard work for me!

    ReplyDelete