1/14/11

Products I can't live without

Peanut Butter Co. Cinnamon Raisin Swirl 


I love peanut butter. Honestly, who doesn't? It's creamy, smooth, and tastes amazing. And this flavor is the best of them all. After trying this peanut butter, I can't go back to regular. The cinnamon goes perfectly with the peanut butter and the occasional raisin is heaven. I eat this on everything, from pretzels to a pb&j sandwich. PB and Co. has a bunch of great flavors, such as Bees Knees, which has honey, Mighty Maple, White Chocolate Wonderful, and Dark Chocolate Dreams. This peanut butter actually has the nutritional info to match any low fat peanut butter, but tastes way better. You can buy it most places, such as Walmart or Wegmans. Although it's about four dollars a jar, it's well worth it. 

Reddi Whip Fat Free Light Whipped Cream


Theres something about whipped cream that makes everything taste better, no matter what you out it on. And with Reddi Whip fat  free light whipped cream, you can put on as much as you want.  2 tablespoons have only 5 calories and 1 gram of sugar. Hallelujah. This goes on everything for me, whether it's pancakes, oatmeal, pie, shakes, or fro-yo. It never lets me down. 

Act II Buttery Popcorn Salt and Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasonings


If you didn't already know, I'm addicted to popcorn. If I could have one thing on a stranded island, it would be my popcorn maker. Unfortunatly, popcorn gets a bad rep, due to it's horrid nutritional state when sold in movie theaters. To many people's surprise, popcorn is full of fiber and really very good for you. The trick is making it taste good without added oil or butter. First off, the popcorn needs to be crispy. Mine comes out perfect, due to  my lovely Cuisinart Popcorn maker (if you don't have one...GET ONE). Next, the popcorn needs to have a good flavor without a ton of oil flavoring it. This is where my popcorn salt comes in. It has an insane amount of flavor and Kernel Season's has so many flavors to choose from. In the picture you can see White Cheddar and Nacho Cheddar, but they also have Butter, Garlic Parmesan, and Kettle Corn. They are all delicious, but I don't buy the Kettle Corn, as it's simply salt and sugar. You can find these little bottles of seasoning in most stores. I get mine at Walmart for about a buck.  The second kind of seasoning I use is Act II Buttery Popcorn Salt. This stuff is strong, so I always sprinkle a little bit on before the Kernal Seasons just to get a good salt flavor. To find out exactly how I make my popcorn, look here.

PB2

Ahh. PB2. Also known as powdered peanut butter. Sounds weird right? Well, who cares. For all you people out there who want the delicious flavor of peanut butter without the large amount of fat and calories (even though it's good fat), PB2 is for you. Basically, its peanuts that are roasted, allowing the majority of oil found in the nuts to drain out. This leaves dry, low-fat peanuts that are then ground into a powder. Wallah. PB2. Besides the fact that PB2 has 85% less fat and calories that regular peanut butter ( 2T has 45 calories and 1.5 grams of fat), the powder is extremely versatile. By adding water, you can make your own low fat peanut butter, but I use mine mostly in shakes, sprinkled on popcorn, in baked goods, in oatmeal, in sauces, or whatever else I can think of. Honestly I don't know what I did without it. It's a little pricey, due to the fact that I can only find it on line (some stores sell it, just not around where I live), but once again, totally worth it. 


Spriana Balsamic Vinegar 

This stuff is liquid gold. Seriously. When a drop of this spills, you don't wipe it up. You lick it up. The first time I tasted this Balsamic Vinegar was at the Rochester Public Market. There were samples in little Dixie cups of three kinds of Balsamic Vinegar; Raspberry, Blueberry, and Traditional. The first two were delicious, but when I tried the Traditional, I fell in love. I literally drank balsamic vinegar. It's that good. This isn't your average balsamic. Its sweet and insanely flavorful. For some reason unknown to me, we didn't get a bottle that day and for months, I dreamed of tasting it again. When winter of that same year came around, I had assumed I would never again taste the wonderful vinegar. But on Christmas morning, while I was passing out gifts, I picked up a wine bottle box and asked my mom who it was for. She said it was for me. What? Wine? I opened it and there sat a wonderful 8.5 ounce bottle of pure joy. I couldn't believe it. We immediately tasted the balsamic on a little Italian bread ( I refrained from drinking it again) and it was as good as I remembered. People, you need to get a bottle of this. You can order all the flavors here.  It won't let you down. 

**The bottle for the original on the website looks different from mine, which was purchased at the market, but I believe it is the same because the flavored ones have to correct bottle. If I order a bottle and for some reason it is different, I will let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Alex,
    Thank you for your positive comments about the balsamic. Niblack bottles the product under my label along with some other products under the Spriana label. I pride myself in selecting only products of a certain quality. Having been raised in Italy and working as an importer I really appreciate your comments.
    I reside in the Western New York area but travel all over North America. If I can be of any further service contact Doug Niblack at Niblack Foods and he will give you my e-mail address. (585)292-0790.
    Sincerely, Italo Besseghini
    P.S. I import Caputo 00 flour from Italy that any baker will fall in love with.

    ReplyDelete